Summer 2024 Golf Operation/Academy (Medina Country Club) Internship
Medina Country Club’s 27-hole championship course offers an enjoyable experience for golfers of all skill levels. With five sets of tees and notoriously fast true greens, Medina has something to offer for everyone. The club can also accommodate golf outings and business groups for members and non-members. Bill Cosgrove, President & CEO of Union Home Mortgage, purchased Medina Country Club in January 2022. You can learn more about the Country Club here: https://www.medinacc.com/
An internship at Medina Country Club is an excellent segway into the golf industry. This internship experience is based on education and real-world interaction with club members and peers and offers an opportunity to gain experience in both Golf Operations and the Golf Academy. A student will be able to sharpen their golf operation skills and teaching/coaching skills by assisting in all facets of Medina Country Club’s golf operation. It is very important to Medina Country Club to prepare all interns for careers in the golf industry by providing the best opportunities for students to grow into great golf professionals.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Golf Operation Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsibilities include providing quality service, overseeing, and assisting with the golf shop operations and participating in driving revenue and programming efforts.
- Assist in all merchandising areas including creating/organizing displays, checking in merchandise, ordering merchandise, and stocking/inventory control.
- Assist with tournament operations including setting up tournaments in Golf Genius, printing scorecards, understanding the handicap system, creating scoreboards using calligraphy, and scoring different tournaments.
- Aid with the outside operations, opening of the range, and staging carts for the day.
- Responsible for efficient and friendly customer service throughout the pro shop, checking in golfers, accurately ringing up charges at the register and properly checking in all golfers prior to play, as well as, resolving customer complaints as soon as possible.
- Respond to inquiries about event registrations both in-person and over the phone
- Maintain professionalism and respect when working with Club staff including managers and fellow peers.
- Maintain good conduct and safe working habits in all areas while ensuring that others are acting safely
Golf Academy Duties & Responsibilities
- Learn to use different training aids and drills used at the academy for teaching.
- Create lesson plans for golf clinics.
- Set-up and break-down training stations for golf clinics.
- Assist the Golf Professionals with golf clinic instruction.
- Conduct beginning junior golf private lessons.
- Transition into a program leader for our high school golf development program.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Basic Golf Knowledge and Etiquette Required
- Candidates that play(ed) Golf competitively at the collegiate or high school level preferred
- Prior golf attendant/assistant experience at a club required
- Applicants that are pursuing a bachelor’s degree in an accredited Golf Management Program highly preferred
- Applicants that are active and participating in the PGA Apprentice Program a plus
- Must be proficient in Excel, Access, Word, POS systems
- Ability to work and maintain a flexible schedule of days, afternoons or evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to operate a golf cart/maintenance vehicle, remain on feet for the majority of the workday; bend, reach, lift and carry 40 lbs
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Detail oriented with the ability to multitask
- Self-motivated individual with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A willingness to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment