Ohio Substitute Teacher Services (OSTS) is proud to support over 50 school districts in the employment of substitute teachers! Substitute teachers play an important role by stepping in to make sure that quality education, effective classroom management, and school policy and procedures continue in the absence of the assigned classroom teacher. If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of others, please submit your application today.
- Maintains a record free of criminal violations that would prohibit public school employment. (FBI & BCI background checks dated within 365 days of hire).
- Holds a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree – any field.
- Some districts may allow non-bachelor candidates under SB1
- Three (3) professional references.
- Able to obtain Ohio Department of Education Substitute Teacher License or possess a Teaching License.
- Completes SubSkills Online training (if applicable contingent after hire).
- Completes/submits all mandatory professional development modules and activities using PublicSchoolWorks as platform.
- Communicates accurately and effectively, both in writing and orally, to individuals, teams, staff, and communities.
- Maintains an acceptable attendance record and is punctual.
- Adheres to the Licensure Code of Professional Conduct for Ohio Educators.
Benefits of Substitute Teaching
- Enrollment in State Teachers Retirement System (STRS).
- No nights, weekends, or holidays.
- Consistent, but flexible, scheduling.
- Exposure to the Education field.
- Networking and professional references.