Actuarial Intern - Summer 2024
Employee Status: Intern
Location: Hybrid - defined as three days in office if residence is within 50 miles of Westfield Center, OH - Complimentary Corporate Housing Available
You’re ready to make your mark where people care about each other. Where your work is meaningful. And where your unique perspectives are welcome. Think about joining Westfield, a company focused on what’s most important – the people behind our policies.
Westfield was founded in 1848 by a small group of hard-working farmers who believed in the promise of the future and the power of the individual. Today, as one of the nation’s leading property and casualty (P&C) companies, we remain true to their vision and are dedicated to making a positive difference in our customers’ lives.
- Completing meaningful actuarial assignments with direction/support/coaching from actuarial leaders and peers.
- Follows standard processes in assisting with the following items in assigned area: (IE Pricing, Loss Reserving, R&D)
- Providing input on pricing of new and existing products.
- Collaborating with Underwriting and Product in managing business.
- Determining loss and loss expense reserve recommendations.
- Preparing and defending state filing materials.
- Develop management reports.
- Estimating unpaid loss and loss expense liabilities.
- Actively participates in summer internship program events including Lunch & Learns.
- Conducts research and/or other work for projects assigned.
- May be responsible for department administrative and support duties.
- Develops business acumen through interactions and shadowing with other professionals.
- Currently a rising senior (anticipated graduation no later than May of 2024) or graduate student actively pursuing a four-year or advanced degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or related discipline
- A completed CAS exam is a plus, but also open to candidates who are currently studying for their first CAS exam
- Proven ability to collaborate and work with a team.
- Demonstrated solid oral, written and interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to interact with all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated organization skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
- Physical essential functions: ability to work 40 hours in an office environment (sitting, standing, on a computer, etc.), operate office related technology (computer, phone, etc.), travel as required.
Enjoy a casual-dress atmosphere while taking advantage of a challenging and rewarding work environment. Our internship program starts your career and encourages you to set meaningful goals and objectives while you are with us. You will meet with key leaders, job shadow, make presentations and have fun along the way!
Learn more about current opportunities at www.westfieldinsurance.com/careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.