Career in Golf Intern - Summer 2024
Career in Golf Intern - Summer 2024
Employee Status: Intern
Schedule: Seasonal – 40 hours a week – Mid-May through Early August
Location: Westfield Center, OH
Pay Rate: $14.00 plus tips / On-Site Intern Housing Available
You’re ready to make your mark where people care about each other. Where your work is meaningful. And where your unique perspectives are welcome. Think about joining Westfield, a company focused on what’s most important – the people behind our policies.
Westfield was founded in 1848 by a small group of hard-working farmers who believed in the promise of the future and the power of the individual. Today, as one of the nation’s leading property and casualty (P&C) companies, we remain true to their vision and are dedicated to making a positive difference in our customers’ lives.
The Careers in Golf Intern is a developmental role focused on assisting in the day-to-day golf and grounds operation (2-days per week in grounds and 3-days per week in golf). Along with learning operational elements, interns will learn how golf is used to conduct business, discover golf industry careers, and learn golf and business etiquette. Interns will learn that golf is more than a game; it is a lifetime experience with unparalleled possibilities.
Westfield Country Club is a private 36-hole country club owned by Westfield insurance. The Club has 380 golf members and hosts 30,000 rounds annually (approximately 4,000-6,000 rounds a year are associated with Westfield Insurance business). Originally built in 1937, Westfield Country Club recently completed a large-scale renovation (2017-2020) and now boasts two impeccable championship golf courses and one of the largest practice facilities in Northern Ohio. Westfield has a legacy of warm hospitality and a reputation of hosting premier events (Junior PGA Championship [2001-2007], Junior PGA Ryder Cup , Ohio Open Championship [2013-2016 & 2021-present], US Women’s Am qualifier , US Open qualifiers .)
- Golf Operations Team
- Staging golf carts and golf bags for events and daily play.
- Greeting customers.
- Cleaning golf carts and golf clubs.
- Setting up and re-stocking golf balls at the practice facility.
- Additional opportunities include assisting with tournament operations and junior golf.
- Golf Course Maintenance Team
- Experience the hands-on maintenance functions of preparing the golf course for daily play and events.
- Sand bunker maintenance: raking, trimming.
- Course setup: tee service and changing hole locations.
- Course mowing: greens, tees, fairways.
- Other course maintenance: watering, grass clipping removal.
- Additional Career and leadership exposure
- Golf Merchandiser
- Tournament Director
- Event Planner
- Golf Course Architect
- Participate in Full Time Grounds Weekly meetings.
- Shadow the Golf Course Superintendent and Assistant Superintendents.
- Assist in organizing and running Grounds Crew Annual Golf Event.
- Exposure to other administrative duties and projects.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
- Currently pursuing or within 1 year of receiving a secondary education degree with a related field of study such as Hospitality, Business Admin, Professional Golf Management (PGM), Turf Management or currently engaged with a non-profit organization whose primary focus is to provide underrepresented communities exposure to careers in golf.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with the ability to work mornings, afternoons or evenings and weekends and Holidays.
- Ability to effectively communicate and receive instructions from leader, co-workers, and customers both verbally and in writing.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Ability to stoop, bend, twist, crouch, sit, stand.
- Ability to walk over varying terrain.
- Ability to lift and carry objects weighing over 50 pounds.
- Ability to tolerate severe temperatures and weather extremes.
- Ability to remain on feet the majority of the workday.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the driving policy.
- Ability to operate various tools and equipment related to the hospitality industry such as Golf carts.
• Complimentary housing and utilities.
• Uniform shirts and hats provided.
• Complimentary golf course and practice facility access.
• Extended a 50% discount on greens fees and cart fees when brining guests.
• Extended a 40% discount on Club F&B options while working a shift.
• Extended additional discounts on Golf Shop merchandise.
Our internship program starts your career and encourages you to set meaningful goals and objectives while you are with us. You will meet with key leaders, job shadow, make presentations and have fun along the way!
Learn more about current opportunities at www.westfieldinsurance.com/careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.