Overview: Rank the Vote Ohio, a statewide nonpartisan nonprofit that promotes improving election integrity through Instant Runoffs with Ranked Choice Voting (RCV), is seeking Interns for Outreach during Summer 2023. In this position, applicants will be a part of a geographically, demographically, and ideologically diverse team responsible for increasing awareness and winning support for RCV in Ohio across the political spectrum.
Professional Development Opportunities: Applicants will have access to trainings and resources provided by Rank the Vote Ohio and partner organizations to strengthen political organizing and campaign skills. Interns will connect with and learn from experienced organizers throughout the state, including weekly meetings with Rank the Vote Ohio’s executive director.
Qualifications: Ideal candidates are high school, college, or graduate students with interest in careers in public service, civics, government, politics, psychology, marketing, history, or other fields that can contribute to positive societal change. Previous experience with elections or campaigns (either political or for nonprofits) is helpful, but not necessary. Most important is your dedication to improving Ohio’s elections and campaigns with RCV and your willingness to learn and improve your skills in order to become a more effective agent of change.
Flexible Schedule: Part-Time, between 10-20 hours per week, or as available.
Potential Responsibilities: This position’s main responsibility is to assist with public education about RCV in Ohio in order to build Rank the Vote Ohio’s list of supporters, volunteers, and donors so our grassroots nonpartisan nonprofit can keep growing in anticipation of a potential statewide ballot initiative. Rank the Vote Ohio has many needs to help reach this goal, and applicants are invited to assist with some or all of the following activities, depending on your skills and interests:
- Relational Organizing: Raise awareness and support for RCV among family, friends, and other personal contacts, either through in-person outreach or by securing signups for our online petition.
- Live Outreach: Assist organizers with researching and identifying places and events for live outreach (canvassing) to talk with passerby about RCV and register their interest by signing onto our list. Table or canvass alongside organizers or volunteers.
- Phone/Text Banking: Make calls/texts to prospective and established volunteers to boost volunteer turnout at canvasses and other in-person or virtual events.
- Event Planning: Research or use connections to identify potential venues for in-person events such as local chapter meetings/socials, house parties, or fundraisers. Attend in-person, hybrid, or virtual events to assist organizers with set up/take down, securing signups, running mock elections with RCV ballots, posting links in the chat for online attendees, etc.
- Speakers Bureau: Help identify opportunities for representatives from Rank the Vote Ohio to give presentations to groups, and/or train to audition to represent Rank the Vote Ohio as a certified speaker yourself.
- Digital Outreach: Serve as a Social Media Ambassador for RCV and secure signups for our online petition. Generate content (graphics, memes, videos, blog posts, op-eds, etc.) that could be used across various platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, YouTube, Reddit, etc.
- Fundraising: Assist Rank the Vote Ohio’s all-volunteer Fundraising Team with planning and implementing creative fundraisers and/or researching and identifying opportunities to apply for grants.
- Administrative & Operations: Assist with data entry, logistics, or other needs.
How to apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until capacity has been reached. Please apply on Handshake or email your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Internship Application.” Please include your potential start date, number of hours per week you expect to serve, the geographic area(s) in which you would be available, and the responsibilities that most appeal to you.
To learn more about us and our mission, visit RankTheVoteOhio.org
Rank the Vote Ohio provides equal opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status in accordance with all applicable laws. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of the above. We're committed to building a diverse team. Women, people of color, and members of other historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.