Personal Lines Underwriting Trainee
Personal Lines Underwriting Trainee
Employee Status: Regular
Schedule: Full Time
Location: Westfield Center, OH – Hybrid Work Environment
You’re ready to make your mark where people care about each other. Where your work is meaningful. And where your unique perspectives are welcome. Think about joining Westfield, a company focused on what’s most important – the people behind our policies.
Westfield was founded in 1848 by a small group of hard-working farmers who believed in the promise of the future and the power of the individual. Today, as one of the nation’s leading property and casualty (P&C) companies, we remain true to their vision and are dedicated to making a positive difference in our customers’ lives.
- Works to acquire the knowledge, experience, skills, and business acumen in Personal Lines. This work and the trainee’s development are all towards the goal of becoming a professional in the PL segment.
- Assists leader, team, or business unit with work assigned to them. This often includes, but is not limited to, educational opportunities, project work and coverage of day-to-day activities.
- Develops business acumen through interactions and shadowing with other professionals.
- Attends business unit meetings as assigned.
- Creates and delivers presentations as assigned.
- Prepares for and engages in one-on-one, on-line, and on-the-job learning/educational assignments/experiences.
- Develops operating knowledge of Westfield and Personal Lines standardized hardware, software programs, third-party software, and processing procedures.
- Works toward developing an understanding of key concepts and appropriate business skill application through active participation and engagement in observation and practice activities.
- Solicits reinforcing and constructive feedback from leader, peer coaches and others in the organization and incorporates feedback into their development.
- Identifies resources, best practices, and external networking opportunities to monitor pertinent industry activity and trends. Shares information gathered with others in the department.
- Maintains awareness, understanding, and compliance with internal policies and procedures, laws, and regulations appropriate for this position.
- 6+ months of work experience (e.g. internship, summer job, part-time work, full-time work).
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to interact with all levels of management and employee population.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Experience working independently and within a team environment.
- Experience managing changing priorities and multiple assignments.
- Experience using software packages including, but not limited to, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to work effectively in the following work environments: an office, a home, and/or a hybrid of both for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing, and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
- Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
- Ability to travel as required.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work/life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield.
Learn more about current opportunities at www.westfieldinsurance.com/careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.