Technologist, Packaging Development- Pet Research & Development
Technologist, Packaging Development,-Pet Research & Development
ORRVILLE, OH (Corporate Office)
In this role you use your understanding of Packaging Science or Engineering to perform the basic and critical experimental work of applied research and/or development, including planning experiments, generating, and analyzing data. Individuals plan and execute a broad range of technical tasks. Your work is typically “hands on”, in a lab, in a plant or pilot plant, at a critical site, on a computer or with consumers.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Partner with Manager, co-workers, and other resources to develop and execute learning plans to design Packaging based on business need, consumer need, and a design brief.
- Perform experiments and tests, generate sound, accurate and reproducible data, make critical observations and analysis, and report results.
- Document and summarize experimental data for review and contribute towards its interpretation, making special note of unexpected results or observations.
- Develop and manage critical technical packaging specifications and drawings as an output of testing and experimentation for the development of Packaging.
- Communicate results or observations to Manager/Supervisor and other team members.
- Contribute to project activities including working across disciplines, functions and occasionally with outside vendors.
- Support the R&D team with additional responsibilities, as needed
Is this the Role for You?
Are you a driven professional with a passion for delivering results while expanding your skillset and enhancing your expertise? Are you eager to share your opinions (and have them heard) and make a positive impact through your work? Do you share in our dedication to continuous improvement and growth? If so, you are the type of professional we want to add to our Company!
What we are looking for:
- B.S. Degree in Packaging Science/Engineering, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
- Understands scientific process and laboratory documentation.
- Conceptual knowledge of theories, practices and procedures, materials, and manufacturing processes in Packaging
- Proficient in following standard operating procedures and Packaging test methods
- Use skills and knowledge to understand and solve technical problems
- Creative and critical thinking applied to solving problems and making judgments and decisions
- Ability to collaborate with others and communicate data/information.
- Understanding of and ability to use available resources needed to get the job done
- Approximately 20-25% Travel expected
- Ability to use Tops, CAPE, Adobe Illustrator is preferred
- Relevant experience in flexible packaging and/or packaging for Pet Food and/or Treats is preferred
- Previous project(s) commercialization experience is preferred
Why Smucker is the Place for You
You deserve a positive and encouraging work environment. One that allows you to deliver your best work and become your best professional self. That is exactly what you will find at Smucker.
Inspired by our unique culture, we are determined to support every employee holistically by meeting their physical, emotional and financial needs through:
- Our Total Reward benefits program – includes competitive health and financial benefits that reflect your needs at different life stages, and a continued commitment to empower flexible work schedules and remote work opportunities to help you thrive.
- Continuous opportunities to learn, grow and develop – beyond functional job-based education, we promote well-rounded development and encourage a spirit of continuous learning as part of our commitment to help you realize your professional goals.
- Our continued progress on the journey to become the inclusive and diverse organization we expect to be supporting equity across our communities. We firmly believe that an inclusive environment and diverse organization strengthens our Company and enables every employee to reach their full potential.
Learn More About Working at Smucker
- Our Total Rewards Benefits Program
- Our Thriving Together Philosophy Supporting All Impacted by Our Business
- Our Continued Progress on Inclusion, Diversity and Equity
Follow us on LinkedIn®