Corporate Strategy Summer Associate
Corporate Strategy Summer Associate, Summer 2023
About Westfield: Westfield was founded in 1848 by a small group of hard-working neighbors who looked out for each other and what they’d built together. They believed in the strength of the individual, the power of community, and the promise of tomorrow. Today, as one of the nation’s leading Property & Casualty (P&C) insurance companies, that promise is still evident in our mission to enable customer's peace of mind and financial stability. Westfield is a regional P&C insurance company with approximately $2 billion in revenue and more than $5 billion in total assets.
Location & Timing: Remote work option in the US central and eastern time zones with periodic visits to the main campus in Westfield Center, OH (Located near Cleveland) for a few key meetings throughout the summer.
The selected candidate needs to be able to begin their internship in either May or June 2023. The duration of the internship is scoped for ~12 weeks.
Internship Overview: During your summer internship, you will learn about the insurance ecosystem and gain experience leading critical processes across the strategy development lifecycle including strategy development, strategic planning, and trend monitoring. You will work directly with the Leader of Corporate Strategy who champions the strategy function at Westfield to drive both organic and inorganic growth.
As part of this experience, you will interface with leaders such as the Chief Innovation and Strategy Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and President & CEO to shape the future of organization. You will also work closely with business segment leadership teams to define and advance their competitive business strategies and plans.
The below job description provides a general overview of the work; it isn’t an exhaustive list of duties and expectations.
Focus for the Summer:
· Drive the full cycle of process development, including the design, execution, and continuous improvement of critical processes to support effective strategy development for various segments
· Perform industry trends research, market and competitive analysis, development of new growth opportunities, quantitative analysis, and evaluation of value propositions and competitive advantages to provide recommendations that inform strategic choices
· Build and maintain critical processes in support of effective strategic planning
· Ensure robust data and analytics are utilized in the strategy lifecycle processes
· Perform inorganic activities including target identification and deal evaluation in service of the segment’s inorganic strategy
Experience & Qualifications:
· Enrolled in an elite MBA program with course work focused on Business Strategy, Corporate Development, Strategic Planning, Ecosystem Strategy, or other related fields
· Previous experience as a strategy consultant or corporate strategy is a plus
· Strong process skills including the proven ability to evolve and deploy strategy frameworks
· Ability to scope a problem with a hypothesis-driven approach and develop a cogent project plan
· Strong written and oral communication skills with proven ability to think conceptually and pragmatically
· High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, etc.) including development of C-level facing presentations and experience
To learn more about Westfield, please visit us at westfieldinsurance.com
Note, we are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.