The Research & Development Intern is a lab-based position and will work within the department on the optimization and innovative development of roofing & waterproofing products and solutions.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
· Accomplish assigned daily tasks and communicate findings to supervisor.
· Apply liquid and rolled good finished products for laboratory studies.
· Create, cut and test samples for basic physical properties.
· Evaluate samples using an Instron tensile testing unit.
· Maintain neat and accurate records of all experimental data.
· Conduct all work in full compliance with company HS&E regulations.
· Contribute to the raw material qualification approval process.
· Maintain desk and work environment in a neat condition.
· Support Quality Assurance laboratory, as needed.
· Other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
· Actively in pursuit of a 4 year college degree in chemistry, biology, or polymer science.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Good computer skills, be action/results oriented, pay close attention to detail and demonstrate strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
Working Conditions and/or Physical Demands:
· Schedule will be flexible, based on class schedule, and can be up to 40 hours per week during school breaks.
· Ability to work in laboratory environment, including related chemicals and equipment.
· Must be able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
· Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at times.
Reports to the Senior Chemist.