PLC Controls Engineer
PLC Controls Engineer
Navarre, OH, US
**NOT A REMOTE POSITION. THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN NAVARRE, OHIO ***
JOB TITLE: Controls Engineer (Programmer)
EMPLOYER: Miller Weldmaster
DEPARTMENT: Electrical Engineering
REPORTS TO: Eric McInnes, Manager
EFFECTIVE DATE: 9/9/2022
SUMMARY: Controls Engineers at Miller Weldmaster program automated machinery using programmable logic controllers (PLC) and Human Machine Interfaces (HMI). There responsible to write and install PLC / HMI applications, test the efficacy of the installed application, possibly install completed machine onsite, service legacy machines in the field or remote.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Domestic & International traveling to customer locations.
- Meeting with customers and the mechanical engineering team to discuss mechanical or electrical automation needs.
- Using a variety of automation software to write PLC / HMI programs
- Ie: Allen Bradley PLCs (Rockwell Micro800, 500,5000, Studio), Horner, Panasonic, Schneider Electric & Allen Bradley VFDs
- Developing and installing machine programs using automation software and custom coding languages.
- Determining machine automation test criteria before the final installation.
- Testing automated systems for efficiency, safety, and reliability.
- Troubleshooting system errors and faults in the system.
- Assist with internal queries on existing equipment and programming standards
- Work with other engineering staff to outline programming standards and requirements
- Performs complex design, maintenance, enhancement, testing, implementation, and support of software
- Performs reviews of complex customers' standards specification and other documentation to determine software engineering requirements
- Overseeing the successful installation of PLC programs.
- Reading and interpreting the logical flow diagram.
- Explaining to the customers and engineers how electrical components operate.
- Preparing documents to instruct the users how to use the device and other safety instructions.
- Working in coordination with Engineering and Production team.
- Documenting development processes.
- Providing customers with technical support via onsite or remote.
- Bachelor's degree in software engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or a similar field.
- Exceptional logic reasoning abilities.
- Ability to take multiple data points for requirements and condense the various requirements into a solution
- Excellent ability to work under no supervision.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Extensive knowledge of PLC programming languages such as ladder logic, sequential function charts, etc
- A keen eye for details for accuracy.
- Understand and support all GMPs, safety, and environmental regulations
- Individual will use their technical knowledge and experience to assure the efficient operation of variety of automated processing and information technology systems and will lead in installing and placing new equipment into operations
- PLC technical certification.
- At least 3 – 5 years’ experience as a PLC programmer.
- Electrical and mechanical engineering experience preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of manufacturing and mechanical processes.
- Knowledge of software design principals.
- Experience in AutoCAD Electrical, Vault.
- Detailed knowledge of PLC automation software and coding languages.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have a valid Driver’s Licenses.
- Ability to travel up to 30% as needed. May include weekends.
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing
- priorities with enthusiasm
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Analytical--Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving--Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills--Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service--Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills--Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication--Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication--Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork--Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Ethics--Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Strategic Thinking--Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment--Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Professionalism--Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality--Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Attendance/Punctuality--Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability--Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative--Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation--Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Occasionally required to stand & walk
- Continually required to sit
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity
- Continually required to talk or hear
- Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Occasionally required to lift/push/carry items less than 100 pounds
- Occasionally work near moving mechanical parts
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.