Internal Audit Intern
Position Title: Internal Audit Intern
Company: RPM International Inc.
Division: Corporate Headquarters
Department: Internal Audit
Reports To: Manager, Internal Audit
Purpose of Position
RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM) owns subsidiaries that are world leaders in specialty coatings, sealants, building materials and related services. The company operates across four reportable segments: consumer, construction products, performance coatings and specialty products. RPM as a diverse portfolio with hundreds of market-leading brands, including Rust-Oleum, DAP, Zinsser, Varathane, Day-Glo, Legend Brands, Stonhard, Carboline, Tremco and Dryvit. The company employs approximately 15,000 individuals worldwide and had fiscal 2019 sales of $5.6 billion.
RPM’s Internal Audit Department performs annual internal control audits of the Company’s significant operating companies in support of Management’s Assessment of Internal Control over Financial Reporting. In addition, Internal Audit also performs annual financial statement and other audit activities at selected smaller worldwide locations. The Internal Audit Intern reports directly to the Manager, Internal Audit during the execution of these audit activities and is designed to provide the individual with an opportunity to execute staff auditor work. It is expected that the role may travel up to 20% of the time.
1. Evaluate the design and perform operating testing over selected key internal controls. Prepare summaries of the audit procedures performed and the results achieved at the conclusion of each audit. Assist in developing recommendations for remedial action to improve operations within an agreed upon implementation schedule. Conduct follow-up discussion and tests to ascertain whether agreed upon corrective measures have been implemented.
2. Perform selected financial statement audit procedures in accordance with Internal Audit’s standard audit program. Prepare summaries of the audit procedures performed and the results achieved at the conclusion of each audit. Assist in developing recommendations for remedial action to improve operations within an agreed upon implementation schedule. Conduct follow-up discussions and tests to ascertain whether agreed upon corrective measures have been implemented.
3. Respond to internal requests for support or assistance in a prompt and professional manner.
4. Coordinate activities and share results of testing with the Company' external auditors.
5. Keep abreast of laws, rules and regulations issued by applicable regulatory agencies with which the Company must comply.
Laptop computer with Microsoft Office, AuditBoard internal control software, calculator, cell phone, copy machine, & scanner
Relationship and Contacts
1. Staff Internal Auditors, Senior Internal Auditors, and Managers, Internal Audit – On a daily basis, the Internal Audit Intern is expected to interact in small project teams by assisting other Staff Internal Auditors and Interns with the completion of their work and working under the supervision of Senior Internal Auditors and Managers, Internal Audit.
2. Chief Audit Executive - On a periodic basis, the Internal Auditor Intern will meet with the Chief Audit Executive to discuss internal audit objectives, audit procedures and audit results.
3. Corporate Finance Department – Internal Audit will be responsible for auditing the activities of the Corporate Finance Department, most important of which is the preparation of the Company’s external financial statements. In addition, the Corporate Finance Department will communicate any areas of risk at the operating company level to Internal Audit for review and follow-up.
4. Financial Management at Operating Groups and Operating Companies - Though the degree will vary with every audit, this position will have contact with all employees in the worldwide finance function, at every level of the organization.
1. Periodic contact with the Company’s external auditors (Deloitte)
1. Student currently majoring in Accounting, Finance or relevant business field
Knowledge and Skills Required for Position
1. Positive Attitude & willingness to travel in small teams
2. Ability to communicate, learn, and be self-sufficient
3. Effective oral and written communication skills
4. Ability to understand and follow directions
5. Business office skills - ability to use a laptop computer (including word processing and spreadsheet applications), cell phone, copy machine, scanner and calculator.