Intern - Construction Materials Testing and Inspection
Construction Materials Testing (CMT) Technician Intern (full-time or part-time) for Wertz Geotechnical Engineering, Inc. (WGE). This internship provides an opportunity to be directly involved with construction quality assurance, monitoring, and testing projects. CMT Technicians at WGE are professionals tasked with monitoring and assuring the quality of the construction activities of our clients and their subcontractors, as well as performing special inspections and performing tests and measurements on various types of materials. Provides opportunity to shadow and train with experienced senior field technicians and field engineers.
Your primary responsibility will be assisting with field activities, including tasks such as monitoring excavations and testing soil compaction during earthwork construction activities; sampling and monitoring the placement of concrete and reinforcing steel; performing various types of special inspections and field activities such as geotechnical drilling and concrete/asphalt coring; and assisting with geotechnical laboratory work (including concrete compressive strength tests, particle-size analyses, standard and modified proctors, Atterberg limits testing).
You will also assist with reporting activities as needed, including preparing daily field reports for CMT and monitoring activities under the supervision of the QA/QC manager.
• Be detail oriented in your role and assure all needed data is collected during field activities;
• Accurately monitor and document construction activities, perform sampling and testing of construction materials, and assist with other activities under the direction of the QA/QC manager and the client as needed;
• Ability to effectively read and interpret construction drawings and documents, comprehend and interpret local building codes, as well as to inspect and review projects to monitor compliance with building codes, safety codes and other regulations;
• Ability to develop relationships, establish communication with clients, and work independently;
• Other duties/responsibilities not listed above as determined by the current project needs.
• Current or past training in Construction Engineering Technology, Civil Engineering or Construction, or applicable previous construction experience (a plus);
• Travel is required (90% field work; local). A reliable method of transportation is required (mileage reimbursement provided);
• Valid driver's license, clean driving record, and ability to drive a pickup truck;
• Ability to twist and turn, lift and carry heavy objects (up to 50 lb), walk long distances, and perform repetitive strenuous activities in the rain, snow, and in both hot and cold weather conditions;
• Ability to follow all safety regulations set forth by OSHA and the company policy;
• Strong written and verbal communication, technical writing, and organizational skills;
• Strong mathematical skills.
WGE offers specialized experience on projects usually taken on by larger engineering firms, while maintaining the culture, feel, and overall size of a small firm. We understand the importance of professional growth and offer opportunities for training. As a small and growing firm, there may be many chances for career growth and to take on more responsibilities. You will work on diverse projects providing high quality services to our clients. Join a growing team where your contribution matters