Field Engineers for Wertz Geotechnical Engineering, Inc. (WGE) are directly involved with geotechnical subsurface assessments, construction quality assurance and monitoring projects, and geotechnical engineering activities. Engineers at WGE are professionals tasked with coordinating the collection of and reviewing samples and data from the field, reviewing construction documents, communicating with clients, and creating recommendations and client deliverables to provide our clients with valuable information related to geotechnical aspects of construction and civil site design.
Your primary responsibility will be completing field activities and assisting with producing figures and client deliverables, including tasks such as preparing figures, letters, and geotechnical engineering reports; preparing models and performing calculations; assisting with and leading field sampling and logging activities for soil; monitoring and logging bedrock coring activities; completing test pits and dynamic cone penetrometer tests; monitoring excavations and testing soil compaction during earthwork construction activities; assisting with geotechnical laboratory work (including particle-size analyses, standard and modified proctors, Atterberg limits testing, and concrete compressive strength tests); and assisting as needed with drilling coordination activities and other construction materials testing activities depending on current project needs.
• Support projects by providing field support, data management and interpretation, technical assistance, and reporting;
• Be detail oriented in your role and assure all needed data is collected during field activities;
• Perform test pits, wildcat dynamic cone penetrometer tests, check foundation-bearing subgrades, and prepare letters for review by the project engineer/manager;
• Prepare models and perform geotechnical engineering calculations and design as needed under the direct supervision of the project engineer;
• Collect project information and prepare engineering figures, drawings, reports, and other deliverables for review by the project engineer;
• Ability to effectively read and interpret construction drawings and documents, comprehend and interpret local building codes, as well as to inspect and review projects to monitor compliance with building codes, safety codes and other regulations;
• Ability to develop relationships, establish communication with clients, and work independently;
• Assist with geotechnical sampling activities under direction of project engineers and managers;
• Ability to accurately collect data and prepare logs for activities such as sampling soils and rock cores, drilling activities, and groundwater levels;
• Accurately monitor and document construction activities, perform sampling and testing of construction materials, and assist with other activities under the direction of the QA/QC manager and the client as needed;
• Other duties/responsibilities not listed above as determined by the current project needs.
• ABET-Accredited B.S. in Civil Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geotechnics, Construction Engineering Technology, or a directly related field;
• E.I. / E.I.T. registration in the state of Ohio, or the ability to obtain after hire. For construction engineering technology applicants, a willingness to study under a PE and work towards professional registration;
• 0-3 years’ professional experience (entry-level position);
• Local Travel is required (50% field work; mostly local). A reliable method of transportation is required (mileage reimbursement provided);
• Valid driver's license, clean driving record, and ability to drive a pickup truck;
• Ability to twist and turn, lift and carry heavy objects, walk long distances, and perform repetitive strenuous activities in the rain, snow, and in both hot and cold weather conditions;
• Nuclear Density Operator Certification (a plus);
• OSHA 10-hour Construction Safety Training (a plus);
• ACI Level I Concrete (a plus);
• Working AutoCAD/GIS experience (AutoCAD or NanoCAD a plus);
• Ability to follow all safety regulations set forth by OSHA and the company policy;
• Strong written and verbal communication, technical writing, and organizational skills;
• A working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
· Competitive Hourly Rate
· 2 Week Vacation Time (Starting)
· Six Paid Holidays
· Continuing Education Reimbursement for Business or Engineering Related Fields
· Health Insurance
· End of the Year Bonus (not guaranteed)
· 3% Matching IRA Contribution
WGE offers specialized experience on projects usually taken on by larger engineering firms, while maintaining the culture, feel, and overall size of a small firm. We understand the importance of professional growth and offer opportunities for training. As a small and growing firm, there may be many chances for career growth and to take on more responsibilities. You will work on diverse projects providing high quality services to our clients. Join a growing team where your contribution matters.