Certified Lifeguards: On-Going Hiring
**We are still in need of Lifeguards, if you are a student who is enrolled in at least one UA main campus class for current semester, you are able to work for us. If you want your Lifeguarding Cert, are able to pass the lifeguard swim test, and are willing to work for us, we will pay for most of your training.***
Lifeguards are responsible for ensuring patron safety in all aquatic areas to include the Ocasek Natatorium and Student Recreation and Wellness Center Leisure Pool and Spa.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure patron safety thru effective communication and patron surveillance
- Enforce policy and procedure as written by Student Recreation and Wellness Services Department
- Provide quality customer service to patrons of ONAT and SRWC facilities
- Assist with cleaning and maintenance of aquatic areas to include pools, spa, deck, locker room, and common areas
- Maintain fitness level to American Red Cross Lifeguarding standards
- Attend and participate in all aquatic program area in-service training
- Successfully complete aquatic program area audits on a yearly basis
- Thorough knowledge of the Student Recreation and Wellness Services Emergency Action Plan (EAP)
- Ability to activate the facility EAP and respond effectively to all emergency codes (BERP)
- Ability to document information completely and effectively thru use of incident, accident, and water-rescue reports.
- Ability to make decisions in stressful situations and communicate effectively with fellow staff
- Assist in the daily operation of the ONAT front desk to include checking patrons into the facility using CSI, checking equipment in/out thru CSI, answering the phone and providing guidance to callers, and assisting patrons with questions and concerns
- Must hold a current American Red Cross Lifeguarding certification
- If a student holds a lifeguarding certification from a different agency, they must take the American Red Cross lifeguarding cross-over class
- Must be a full time student at The University of Akron (12 credits each semester)
- Must pass the pre-employment skills test which requires demonstrating basic swimming, lifesaving, and CPR skills
- Hours Scheduled:
- Approximately 5 - 29 hours per week
All University of Akron student employees must meet the designated minimum standards as stated on the Student Employment Eligibility Chart. UA student employees must be 18 years or older at the time of their start date. Any approved remote work conducted by student employees MUST be performed within the state of Ohio.